Sunday, May 6, 2012

Digging DIY

I've always been into arts and crafts since I was a little kid; colouring, sewing, re-constructing, and improving things to my liking. Since my summer break started about a week and a half ago and I've had a lot of free time, I've been getting crafty in the form of making bracelets. I loved making friendship bracelets for myself and my friends as a kid and since friendship bracelets are going to be a big trend this spring and summer, I felt inspired. I'm considering making a mini-business of it and selling them to those that are interested. So far I've made about 10 bracelets and today I will be featuring my personal favourites that I will be keeping for myself.

The first bracelet is a mini-macreme style featuring a cowrie shell in the middle. I made it using light blue and lilac coloured embroidery thread and used square knot macreme for my design. I love using this type of knot for a friendship bracelet because it's quick and easy to do and very versatile for adding beads to. 


The second bracelet is a colour core design, which is done by braiding three strands of thread around another piece of thread that is a different colour. For this bracelet I used teal and light blue embroidery thread. I like this type of design because it doesn't take long and contrasting colours like the ones I used make it look great.


The third bracelet is just a simple braided design, but with a twist. I used two pieces of embroidery thread, one purple and one pink, and a piece of silvery ribbon and braided them together. I like this design because it looks classic and feminine, especially with the colour combo and ribbon I chose and it's very quick and easy to make.


I'm currently working on a bracelet with a harder and more time-consuming pattern and I have many other bracelet design ideas for the upcoming weeks along with other DIY projects that I'm interested in trying. If you're interested in future posts on other bracelets or projects I complete or would like to see some tutorials, please leave a comment.

Do you like DIY projects? What kind are you interested in or which ones have you already completed?

No comments:

Post a Comment